Friday, October 26, 2007

Mary or Martha?

A couple days ago someone was praying for me and likened me to the Biblical Martha. I was a bit surprised. I had never considered myself to be in any way like her. In my mind she was a hard worker and quite industrious. This is not exactly me. In order to understand why I was likened to her, I studied her story a bit more in depth. After taking a deeper look I understood how I was like her and what God was speaking to me. In order to share with you what I learned, I want to take a look at both Mary and Martha.

Now if you don’t know who they are, let me introduce you. Mary and Martha lived during the time of Jesus’ ministry. They had a brother named Lazarus who Jesus raised from the dead (John 11). And Jesus stayed at their house at least once. Both Mary and Martha love God and seem to be good Christians. But in Luke 10 we learn that these two sisters are different.

Here is their story as the Bible tells it.
Now it came to pass, as they went, that he (Jesus) entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house.
And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word.
But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, “Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.”
And Jesus answered and said unto her, “Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.”
Luke 10:38-42

Here are the differences that can be seen here. Jesus was staying at their house and was around both of them. But how they spent their time around Him was different.
Martha was the hostess. She was keeping everything comfortable for Jesus. I imagine she had a clean, well-kept house. I also imagine she was preparing dinner for Jesus and his follows. And most probably places for all of them to sleep. I picture her looking tired and busy and worried. “I have got to do this and this and that! And then I need to do this and that! Why is my sister not helping me? She knows that I need her help! …” And on and on go Martha’s thoughts. Every thought making her a little more frustrated with all that needs to be done and a bit madder at her sister for not helping.
Mary, on the other hand, sits at Jesus’ feet and listens to everything he says. She probably knew that housework needed to be done and was probably quite a good hostess too. But I imagine her thinking “Wow! Jesus is in our house! He is here! What will he teach us? It is not every day that Jesus stays with us. I don’t want to miss a thing.” So she sat down and spent time with Jesus. She knew when to lay the every day things aside and spend time with Jesus.

Since I was likened to Martha, I paid close attention to the words use to describe her. Cumbered was the first word that popped out to me. Cumbered? I looked it up in the Strong’s Concordance. Here is what it says:

Cumbered # 4049 Greek word: perispa - 1) to draw around, to draw away, distract 2) metaph. a) to be driven about mentally, to be distracted b) to be over-occupied, too busy, about a thingLk. x. 40 … to be distracted with cares, to be troubled, distressed.

How I read the verse with the definitions is: “Martha was cumbered (distracted with cares, troubled, distressed, mentally distracted, over-occupied, too busy, drawn away from Jesus) about much serving.” The definition that stands out to me is “to draw away.” I thought about this. To be drawn away, you need a couple things: someone or something to draw you; and someone or something to be drawn way from. The interpretation I get from this phrase is that the devil is trying to draw us (you and me) way from spending time with Jesus. He knows what will draw us. It is important not to be drawn away from our time with God.
If we are drawn away, then the following verse will describe us. “Thou art careful and troubled about many thing.” I looked up both careful and troubled. The word careful does not really fit until you read what the word’s definition is. I think the verse would read better if careful had been translated “full of cares.”

Careful # 3309 Greek word: merimna - 1) to be anxiousa) to be troubled with cares 2) to care for, look out for (a thing) a) to seek to promote one's interests b) caring or providing for
Troubled # 5182 Greek word: thorybaz - 1) disturb, trouble 2) to be troubled in mind, disquieted

If you put the definitions in the verse it explains how she felt. “Thou art careful (troubled with cares, anxious, seeking to promote your own interests) and troubled (disturbed, disquieted, troubled in your mind) about many thing.” Wow! What really stands out to me is the part about “seeking to promote one’s own interest.” I thought about this. When we are in charge of our own life and the well being of those we love, we are often “anxious” and “troubled with cares.” I hate to see the face of someone who is carrying such a heavy load. They look worn out and beaten. As I thought about this a couple verses popped into my head. “Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.” I Pet. 5:7 Give Jesus your burdens. Lay them down at His feet. And He will give you rest. “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matt. 11:28-30 (note: yoke, n. [G., L., Gr.] – … A mark of servitude … Service. My yoke is easy.) The yoke we carry as a Christian is easy. All we have to do as servants of Christ is listen and obey Him, and He takes care of our every need.

So let’s read this section of scripture back with the extra definitions in it.
Now it came to pass, as they went, that he (Jesus) entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house.
And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word.
But Martha was cumbered (distracted with cares, troubled, distressed, mentally distracted, over-occupied, too busy, drawn away from Jesus) about much serving,
and came to him, and said, “Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.”
And Jesus answered and said unto her, “Martha, Martha, thou art careful (troubled with cares, anxious, seeking to promote your own interests) and troubled (disturbed, disquieted, troubled in your mind) about many things:
But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.”
Luke 10:38-42

Martha was doing what most of us do. She was doing thing in her own strength. She was carrying her own burdens. She was busy and had no time for Jesus. And when you don’t have time for Jesus, well you will be full of cares and troubled.
Mary lay aside everything and enjoyed Jesus’ presence. Mary chose that good part, which could never be taken away from her. She chose to trust in Jesus’ strength and to listen to Him. She humbled herself by sitting at Jesus’ feet.

I found that I was acting like Martha. But I don’t want to be a Martha. If you asked me who I want to be like, Mary or Martha, my answer would be Mary. She was quiet before the Lord and I imagine she hung on to every word He spoke. I need to be like that. I don’t need to carry my burdens around like Martha. I need to give my cares to Jesus and trust Him. I need only to spend time with Him and grow in Him. I need to seek Jesus first (just like Mary did). Seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. Matt. 6:33

In closing I will leave you with these verses. God Bless!
Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
(For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matt.6:25-34

2 comments:

Lady Dvora said...

Hi Hannah! Interesting and thought provoking posts...

Kristi said...

Hi Hannah!
Thank you for the study. I'm glad you have a blog too - it will be great to keep up with each other!

My Favorite Family Photos

Daycare

Mall of America

Disney Vacation 2009